We’re living in unprecedented times, with 2020’s coronavirus pandemic ushering in major disruptions to how we live, work, and interact with the world around us. While these changes due to COVID-19 have been challenging, there are things we can do to mitigate the coronavirus and help get our lives back on track sooner than later. A big one is everyone wearing face masks in public.
Science shows that wearing masks is one of the simplest, yet one of the most effective ways to combat the coronavirus. In fact, if everyone in the U.S. wore wore face masks between now and the end of the year, we could potentially be saving over 116,000 lives. A small everyday habit like wearing face masks — if we all partake — adds up to a huge positive impact. With so much riding on our actions to combat COVID-19, let’s take a closer look at how face masks actually do save lives, and introduce SpaceshipOne’s new Wear to Care initiative, which aims to de-stigmatize, depoliticize, and humanize wearing face masks.
Why face masks are so important
Coronavirus face masks work by blocking the droplets that come out of our mouths whenever we cough, sneeze, speak, or even just breathe. Face masks work by blocking the droplets that come out of our mouths whenever we cough, sneeze, speak, or even just breathe. By wearing a mask or cloth face covering in public, we lower these potential COVID-19 viral pathways to others, significantly limiting the coronavirus’ spread.
Recent COVID-19 projections from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation show that if everyone in the U.S. wore coronavirus masks between now and the end of the year, over 116,000 deaths from COVID-19 could potentially be prevented. That’s a tremendous benefit from such a small shift in our daily behavior.
How wearing masks can save lives
- Masks help prevent community transmission of COVID-19. COVID is an airborne illness, with transmission primarily occurring through respiratory droplets from the mouth and nose. Again, this means that anytime you cough, sneeze, speak, or even just breathe, droplets of different sizes can spread through the air — so wearing masks in public significantly reduces the incidence of these droplets infecting others with the COVID-19 virus.
- Masks help to prevent the asymptomatic spread of COVID-19. The CCDC reports that up to 80% of those infected with COVID-19 only experience only mild symptoms, or have no symptoms at all. Because evidence suggests that COVID-19 may be transmitted before symptoms are present, wearing face masks for COVID can help reduce the chance of spreading the disease even when you’re feeling well.
- Masks help to limit hand to face contact. On average, people touch their faces over 20 times an hour, which can increase the chance of COVID-19 infection through your nose, mouth, or eyes. Instead, a mask creates a physical barrier between your face and hands, helping to reduce face touching and the chance you’ll unknowingly infect yourself with the coronavirus.
The good news is, the official position globally is pro-masks. Although the World Health Organization (WHO) previously stated only health care workers need masks, they’re now recommending masks “as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives.”
Why we started Wear to Care
When we as people wear masks in public, we’re showing we care about each other: our family and friends, our colleagues at work, and the community at large, including the elderly, those with pre-existing medical conditions, and immunocompromised people. We’re all in this together, and we have to stay committed to keeping each other safe from the coronavirus. That’s why, at SpaceshipOne, we’re proud to announce our new Wear to Care initiative, which gives organizations and their teams a unique opportunity to come together and share their support for mask-wearing and public health.
Wear to Care offers a value and impact-focused design workshop where you and your team get to design custom masks for your business! In the workshop, everyone gets to be creative with their mask ideas and share their design thinking and process with the group. It’s a fun, engaging team-builder and morale booster.
The Wear to Care custom mask workshop goes like this:
- Create custom mask designs. After signing up, Wear to Care will host a creative clinic for your business and employees. The clinic features goal-oriented exercises centered on your organization’s brand in order to help team members create artwork for your business’ custom-designed masks.
- Open the floor for discussion. After your team has designed their masks, we open the floor up for discussion, giving everyone a chance to share their story around their COVID mask design. We’ll also provide real-time mask mock-ups to show how the designs will look on the masks.
- Choose your favorite COVID mask design. At the end of the clinic, team members will choose their favorite mask design and Wear to Care will produce the COVID masks in a factory in Los Angeles. The masks will feature the winning design, company logo, and Wear to Care logo. The custom COVID masks are shipped within 2 weeks of sign up.
As a human family, we’re all in this time together. Being a part of Wear to Care helps to uplift our shared humanity by taking better care of each other during the coronavirus pandemic. By working together and wearing masks, humanity can and will overcome the coronavirus pandemic and build a brighter future.
Ready to get started with a custom coronavirus mask design for your team? To learn more or to sign up, please visit Wear to Care.